- Creative Capitalism (GBUS 7610)
- Effectual Entrepreneurship (GBUS 7610)
- Innovation, Design and Entrepreneurship in Action (IDEA) (GBUS 7500)
- The Experience Economy (January One-Week Course) (GBUS 8438)
- Leadership and Cultures of Trust & Innovation (January one-week course) (GBUS 8439)
- Financial Innovation: Opportunities and Problems (GBUS 8025)
- Digital Marketing (GBUS 8033)
- Starting New Ventures (GBUS 8210)
- Venture Capital (GBUS 8290)
- Entrepreneurial Finance and Private Equity (GBUS 8453)
- Software Design (GBUS 8632)
- Acquisition of Closely-Held Enterprises (GBUS 8106)
- Prototyping and Product Development I (GBUS 8130)
- Innovation and Design Experience (3 Credit Hours) (GBUS 8459)
- Impact Investing (GBUS 8497)
- Entrepreneurs Taking Action (GBUS 8469)
- Special Topics Seminar: Marketing Technology Products (GBUS 8500D)
- Software Development (GBUS 8633)
- Special Topics Seminar: Applied Digital Innovation in Silicon Valley (GBUS 8500XX)
- Entrepreneurial Thinking (GBUS 7609)
- Growing the Smaller Enterprise (GBUS 8230)
- Creativity and Design Thinking (GBUS 8484 – MBAE course)
- Special Topics: Due Diligence in Seed Funds (GBUS 8500ZZT)
- Special Topics: Venture Velocity (GBUS 8500YY)
- Global Business Experience – Sweden: Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Sustainability (GBUS 8510)
- Darden Venturing Project (GBUS 8700)
- Transforming Societies (GBUS 8022)
- Uganda: Health Care, Entrepreneurship and Development in East Africa (GBUS 8530)
Darden and i.Lab at SXSW
UVA Darden and Cambridge Judge Entrepreneurship and Innovation Research Conference
The Batten Institute co-hosted an annual conference with the Cambridge Judge Business School in Cambridge, UK.
19–20 June 2017
Business Innovation and Climate Change Initiative
Launched in May 2017, this new initiative fosters multi-stakeholder dialogue and conducts research on the role of disruptive innovation in tackling climate change.
Charlottesville Entrepreneurs + Espresso
Every month, entrepreneurs, faculty and students gather at the i.Lab to hear from an experienced entrepreneur and a pitch from a new venture.
Batten Venture Internship Program
The Batten Institute subsidizes summer internships for Darden students interested in working with early-stage startups or venture capital firms through the Batten Venture Internship Program.
Global Innovators’ Roundtable: San Francisco
13 Oct 2016
San Francisco, CA
Global Innovators’ Roundtable: Singapore
4 Oct 2016
Global Innovators’ Roundtable: D.C.
20 Apr 2017
Greater Washington, D.C. area
Tom Tom Founders Festival
Technology Venture Fellowship
A new program offers students the chance to experience early-stage tech ventures during an intensive 10-week fellowship.
Cities Innovating Tomorrow’s Entrepreneurial Ecosystems
A research initiative that seeks to understand the drivers and outcomes of entrepreneurial ecosystems in U.S. cities.
FY 2016–17 Operating Expenses
Income to support entrepreneurship and innovation through the Batten Institute is provided primarily through an endowment established by Frank Batten Sr. and the Batten family.
Entrepreneurship Pitch Competitions
Meet the winners of the first pitch competition held by Darden’s Entrepreneurship Venture and Capital Club and the winners of the 2017 UVA Entrepreneurship Cup Competition stages.
Kathryne Carr Award for Entrepreneurial Excellence
16 Nov 2016
Discover the mission and milestones of the UVA i.Lab.
Each year the Batten Institute sponsors Darden faculty whose teaching and scholarship predominantly address topics in entrepreneurship and innovation. In 2016–17, the Institute sponsored five such faculty members.
Batten-Affiliated Faculty Publications and Awards
In 2016–17, our faculty members were published in leading journals and recognized with several awards.
2016–17 Course Offerings
In 2016–17, Darden offered 28 courses in entrepreneurship.
Batten Institute Team
17 Feb 2017
The prestigious Batten Fellows program sponsors prominent thought leaders to engage and collaborate on significant topics in entrepreneurship and innovation. Since 2001 more than 80 individuals have been named Batten Fellows.
2017 Startup Grant Program
This new program was established to lend continuing support to qualifying ventures that participated in the Incubator Program in the previous year.
2016–17 Research Grant Recipients
Each year the Batten Institute solicits proposals from UVA faculty members pursuing rigorous and relevant research in entrepreneurship and innovation. The following scholarly projects were awarded support in 2016–17.
The Batten Institute partners with a number of student-led organizations that seek to foster entrepreneurship and innovation.
Each year the Batten Institute provides more than $1 million to support scholarships for MBA students who have an entrepreneurial or innovative orientation. In 2016–2017, six full scholarships were awarded to members of the Class of 2018.
Our white paper series communicates the latest findings from Batten-sponsored research on entrepreneurship and innovation.
2017 i.Lab Companies
In 2017 the i.Lab supported a diverse array of companies led by entrepreneurs and innovators.